Tuesday 10 November 2009

An A41 Footnote




In the late Summer of 1975, just before returning to Liverpool after a a period of study and work in London, I received an unusually symbolic twenty pound note in my pay packet. Immediately recognising the talismanic significance of this note, I decided that it was far too unique to spend and that instead I would keep it for good luck. In spite of this decision, the note spent several years carelessly abandoned by me in LIverpool, by which time it had been mounted and framed behind glass and left in the custody of trusted friends. Some years later, on returning to England from Ireland, in the austere 1980s, I became once more reacquainted with the fabled note. It then managed somehow to survive intact for a while as a fading curiosity on my wall in Derbyshire, until one day, against my better judgement, but with my stomach rumbling, I removed it from its frame and heading for Kwik Save, found myself reluctantly resigned to return it to circulation. The above blue tinted facsimile is all that remains of a 1975 Xerox photocopy of the inspiring but now sadly forsaken A41 20 (million) pound banknote.


N.B. The significance (if any) of the bank teller's handwritten number '380' has yet to be realised.


No comments:

Post a Comment